Air fryers – they appear to be the hottest kitchen appliance on the market!
They are basically convection ovens on steroids. The formula? High heat + circulating air = crispy food.
The variety of air fryers on the market is overwhelming. And the prices vary from about $40 to $300 or more. And do you even need one?
While air frying is certainly a healthier option than frying in oil, it cannot make frozen fried foods steeped in processing and chemicals a healthy choice. So, a little label reading will help determine which frozen foods are actually healthy choices. But air frying can make vegetables crisper and tastier for kids (and adults) who hate veggies.
If you have an air fryer, or intend to purchase one, here are some “dos and don’ts”.
- Preheat your air fryer unless the recipe specifically says not to.
- Grease/spray oil on the air fryer basket to keep food from sticking, but DON’T spray with aerosol spray cans (like Pam), which contain harsh ingredients that may mess up the coating on baskets.*
- Use oil on food to crisp it, unless it already has some fat on it like chicken.
- Shake or turn food during cooking.
- Spritz food with oil halfway during cooking for crispier foods.
- Use loose aluminum foil, will fly around the basket from the air circulation. If you do use foil, make sure the food is heavy enough to keep it in place.
- Use shredded cheese, which will also fly around the air fryer and get stuck on the bottom of the fryer and not on the food.
- Set it and forget it – stopping and flipping or tossing food makes it cook more evenly.
- Crowd food. Food needs room for air to circulate.
- Use loose seasoning. Dry rubs end up like shredded cheese – all over the basket instead of the food. However, food that has been covered with oil that allows it to adhere to food is fine.
Do you have an air fryer? Do you use it regularly? What do you like about air frying? What are your concerns? I know – I’m just full of questions today! Please comment in the Comments section below or reply to any email I send to share your thoughts.
Want to know more before purchasing an air fryer? Or have your needs for an air fryer changed?
Click on my FREE 2023 Air Fryer Buying Guide for information on the best air fryers on the market to date.
* Here is a good option for spritzing oil on your food. I have one like this. And this option gives you two bottles for about the price of one in other options! Click HERE for purchasing information.
My emails (blog posts) sometimes contain affiliate links. This means I earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase, which is at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
I’m Vicki Peel, former home economics teacher and educational administrator. If you are not receiving my emails, coupons, and freebies, look for the Subscribe block (below right) and submit your contact information. I will not share your information with anyone, and all the content you will receive as part of our community is free. I may occasionally promote someone else’s paid content, offer a product for your consideration or share an item that I think might be of use to you. However, you are under no obligation to purchase anything – ever. So, sign up now so you won’t miss anything during our March – June foods extravaganza!!